The King's House, built from plans by Georg Dollmann in 1869 to 1872 on the Schachen Alp near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, was King Ludwig II's mountain refuge. The wooden post-and-infill structure in the form of a Swiss chalet has five living rooms downstairs with cembra wood panelling and a mixture of stylistic elements.
The whole of the upper floor, however, is taken up by the "Turkish Hall". With its coloured glass windows, opulently embroidered textiles, peacock feathers and candelabra it reflects the fascination of the king and his contemporaries with the Orient.
| top |
From 6 June until 4 October 2015
Guided tours (in German) daily 11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm and on request (maximum 30 people)
4.50 euros regular
3.50 euros reduced
The King's House is located 1800 m above sea level and only accessible on foot. The walk up and down takes 6 to 7 hours!
Alpine Garden / Branch of the Munich Botanic Garden
Mobil (01 72) 8 76 88 68
Car parking spaces at Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Elmau
| top |