Princes and kings from the House of Hohenzollern substantially influenced the course of German history. The museum in the Plassenburg documents the history of this family – once burgraves of Nuremberg – who became powerful in Franconia and ruled here until 1806. Governing from the centres of Ansbach and Kulmbach / Bayreuth they shaped Central and Upper Franconia by supporting the Reformation, encouraging the settlement of the Huguenots and introducing economic reforms. Franconia was the Hohenzollerns' power base for expansion into Mark Brandenburg and Prussia.
When the Franconian line died out, the Prussian kings took over the hereditary Franconian territories, which they ruled from 1792 to 1806.
The new museum in the magnificent residential rooms of the 16th-century castle gives an impression of the life of princes in the baroque age. It traces the progress of the Hohenzollerns from the Middle Ages, via the two margraviates from the 17th and 18th centuries to Prussian dominance and the endeavours of the Prussian kings to preserve the Franconian monuments of their family.
The museum was set up together with the Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte and the State Collections of Bavaria, in particular the Bavarian Army Museum.
The museum in the most important Hohenzollern fortress in Bavaria has the largest existing collection of old Prussian military items dating from 1700 to 1806, which are on display in 32 glass cases.
It documents the outward appearance and inner structure of an army which altered the course of history on the battlefields of 18th century Europe and focuses in particular on the time of Frederick the Great (1740-1786).
The infantry and cavalry are described in detail, as well as the social structure of the troops. The main exhibits are firearms, swords, flags and paintings. The museum was established jointly with the collector and historian Bernd Windsheimer.
| top |
April-October: 9 am-6 pm
November-March: 10 am-4 pm
Closed on: January 1, Shrove Tuesday, December 24/25/31
21 May 2017 - 30 April 2018
13 May 2018 - 30 April 2019
The exhibitions are included in the admission charge.
Guided tours (in German) on the Margravial Rooms and the Museum "The Hohenzollerns in Franconia"
9.15 am-3.15 pm every hour and at 4.30 pm
10.15 am-1.15 pm every hour,
at 2.30 pm, and on request
Guided tours on the castle (outside; in German)
1 May-30 September:
every Saturday at 2.15 pm
(approximately 90 minutes)
4.50 euros regular
3.50 euros reduced
Toilet for the disabled available
Margravial Rooms and museum "The Hohenzollerns in Franconia": only accessible via staircase
"Landschaftsmuseum Obermain": ground floor accessible, first floor only accessible via staircase
"Zinnfigurenmuseum": accessible for wheelchair users
(Museum of pewter figures, run by the town of Kulmbach)
Landschaftsmuseum Obermain (Museum of the upper Main region, run by the town of Kulmbach)
Free wi-fi available
From Bayreuth: Bus to "Kulmbach/ Busbahnhof"
Bus to the castle
No parking available at the castle
| top |