Schönbusch Park is one of the earliest landscape gardens in South Germany. Originating as the electoral game park, it was transformed at the instigation of the Archbishop and Elector of Mainz, Friedrich Karl von Erthal, under the direction of minister of state Graf Wilhelm von Sickingen and the architect Emanuel d'Herigoyen. From 1775, artificial lakes and water courses and hills were created and a winding belt walk was laid out.
By 1788/79, in addition to Schönbusch Palace, picturesque rural features in the form of the farm building, the shepherds' cottages and the little village had been created as well as the Temple of Friendship, the Philosophers' House, the observation tower, the dining hall and the Red Bridge.
Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell was brought in at the latest from 1783 to complete the garden. It was his first opportunity to apply to a new park the principles of landscape garden design that he had learned in England. In the process he created one of the most important landscape gardens in Germany. Since 2001 the kitchen building has housed a visitor centre, its main focus being the expanded and modified exhibition "Everything appears natural", which was shown in 1999 in the orangery building.
The following rooms are available for your events:
For details please choose a room by clicking on the picture or on the text.
Festsaal/Speisesaal (Banqueting Hall)
| top |
Kleine Schönbuschallee 1
(0 60 21) 62 54 78
Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung Aschaffenburg
(0 60 21) 3 86 57-0
Fax (0 60 21) 3 86 57-16
Park open all year round
Park Visitors' Centre :
Saturdays, sundays and holidays from 11 am-6 pm
Entrance ticket Schönbusch Palace neccessary
For groups it is possible to book guided tours in English and French on the exhibition and the garden (telephone booking required).
Reservations: Tourist-Information or Führungsnetz Aschaffenburg
tel (0 60 21) 3 95-8 01
Fax (0 60 21) 3 95-8 02
Admission possible; visitors' centre suitable for the disabled
tel (0 60 21) 44 85 60
fax (0 60 21) 44 85 72
Bus to "Park Schönbusch"
Car park at the park entrance
| top |